Re: Help with musicxml2ly

From: pls
Subject: Re: Help with musicxml2ly
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 09:29:56 +0200

Am 22.09.2012 um 01:04 schrieb TaoCG:

> pls-2 wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> can you replicate the error in a tiny example and post the .xml-file?
>>
>> Right now I can only guess. Is there a pickup measure? Are there multiple
>> voices?
>>
>> patrick
>
> Unfortunately no. It's a very complex piece which I got in Sibelius format
> which I exported then to musicxml hoping I'd be able to convert it to
> lilypond. Actually I have no idea how musicxml works.
> It has no pickup measure but definitely multiple voices.
>
> You think if it's too complex musicxml2ly can't handle it?
> Maybe I'll just have to copy it by hand.
I can't really tell whether your file is too complex for musicxml2ly because I
haven't seen it.  Probably not. Negative skips are an indication of
time-related problems.  Quite a few programs export faulty pickup measures.  In
some cases musicxml2ly has problems with certain ways of encoding multiple
voices.  That's why I asked.  The Python error you posted might just disappear
when you get a grip on the negative skips.  So the best (but tedious) way to go
would be to open the .xml-file with a text editor take out (comment out or cut)
all the measures but the first, run musicxml2ly (and lilypond) and see what
happens.  If there are no errors and the compilation is successful paste in
measure by measure and repeat the conversion and compilation until the first
negative skip appears.  There is no easy way out if you want to help to improve
musicxml2ly!

Give it a try.  If all else fails post me the file off-list.

hth
patrick