Re: Help with musicxml2ly

From: TaoCG
Subject: Re: Help with musicxml2ly
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 01:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

pls-2 wrote
> I can't really tell whether your file is too complex for musicxml2ly
> because I haven't seen it.  Probably not. Negative skips are an indication
> of time-related problems.  Quite a few programs export faulty pickup
> measures.  In some cases musicxml2ly has problems with certain ways of
> encoding multiple voices.  That's why I asked.  The Python error you
> posted might just disappear when you get a grip on the negative skips.  So
> the best (but tedious) way to go would be to open the .xml-file with a
> text editor take out (comment out or cut) all the measures but the first,
> run musicxml2ly (and lilypond) and see what happens.  If there are no
> errors and the compilation is successful paste in measure by measure and
> repeat the conversion and compilation until the first negative skip
> appears.  There is no easy way out if you want to help to improve
> musicxml2ly!
>
> Give it a try.  If all else fails post me the file off-list.
>
> hth
> patrick

Thanks, I tried that but I still get around 20 or so negative skips with
only the first measure.

As much as I'd like to get this to work I believe I'd be best off reytyping
this manually because I don't have much time to finish this and it seems
it'd require some time to get into the materia first.

Anyway, I'd have to ask for permission first before I could send you the
file but let me know if you're interested to see it.

When I'm done with this I'll experiment more with musicxml to be prepared
for future projects. This is my first big copying job and I haven't foreseen
the possible usefulness of this tool.

Thanks for the help and input so far.