Re: Suppressing staff

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Suppressing staff
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:26:57 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Helge Kruse" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:25 PM
Subject: Suppressing staff

Hello,

I have a piece for singer and piano. I want to write the notes for the piano. The words should be written above the piano notes as the would appear when the singer's staff is visible. But since the piano melody is mostly the same as the singer's melody the singers staff should be hidden in most lines. Two measures are different. Here I would like to write print the singer's notes.

How can I suppress the singers staff but keep the words above the piano staves?

\version "2.16.0"

common = { \key g\major \time 3/4 }
words = \lyricmode {
  La, la la, la. }
singer = \relative c'' {
  \common
  b a g fis }
pianoRight = \relative c'' {
  \common
<< {b a g fis } \\ { <e c>2. } >>  }
pianoLeft = \relative c {
  \common
  \clef bass d4. d8 d,4 g2 }

\score {
<<
    \new Staff { <<  \new Voice = "one" \singer >> }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" { \words }
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff { <<  \pianoRight >> }
      \new Staff { <<  \pianoLeft >> }

}

Give the piano the lyrics?

\score {
<<
    \new Staff { <<  \new Voice = "one" \singer >> }
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "pianoRH" { <<  \pianoRight >> }
\new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "pianoRH" } \lyricsto "1" { \words }
      \new Staff { <<  \pianoLeft >> }

}

I've used the voice context "1" since you've used implicit voices in your example. You might want to name the voices explicitly, in which case the name would change.

--
Phil Holmes