Re: beatStructure

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: beatStructure
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:49:59 +1000

On 24 September 2012 20:44, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

> Vaughan McAlley wrote Monday, September 24, 2012 10:08 AM
>
>> Specifically, the pattern of eight eighths triggers a beamException
>> that overrides what you’re trying to do. I’ve found that adding
>>
>> \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()
>>
>> ...before doing anything to do with beaming makes everything a whole lot
>> easier.
>
> Indeed.  The documentation for 2.16 and 2.17 has been changed to try
> to make this more obvious.  See Setting automatic beam behaviour in
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/beams
>
> Trevor

I remember having Pabuhr’s problem with my first Lilypond piece (2.14,
about a year ago). Though I’m not a beginner any more, the
documentation does look a lot clearer, and having the 4/4 example is a
huge help. A certain percentage of typesetters (including myself)
prefer grouping quavers into groups of 2 in 4/4 time*, so this is
likely to be one of the first customization jobs that many beginners
might face.

Vaughan

* I don't have a good reason other than personal preference, but I
assert my right to group quavers thus in my own music :-)