Re: piano music with lilypond

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: piano music with lilypond
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:50:43 +0200

On 25 sept. 2012, at 13:25, address@hidden wrote:

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your feedback. First i have to repeat one thing i already mentioned in my first mail. I know that some of these things are doable with lilypond, the problem is more the effort or the requested know how for implementation. And … all the developers of lilypond did a tremendous job J

You're right that it takes quite a lot.  It'd be nice to simplify this through a set of macros for piano music, which we can discuss as these things get developed.

I would be glad to contribute to development on lilypond, but … as far as I read in the documentation lilypond is almost entirely written in scheme ( a lisp derivate to best of my knowledge .. I do not have any glue on lisp ;-)). But if those modules you mentioned for opening for override are C++, I could do programming J.

LilyPond's advanced user interface is all Scheme, but most of the problem's you're identifying need low-level C++ work in addition to Scheme work.  I'll contact you off-list to talk more about that, as it is a bit technical.

Cheers
Michael

P.S.
Thanks for your example for “tieing” from one Voice to another. I think this is a very good example for what I’m struggling with… because, you are tweaking here for the entire score ( putting the Tie-engraver from voice to the Staff context). I’d have a better feeling if it would be possible to do things like that on demand, or better at the very specific place in the score where it is needed ;-).

You're right.  This is the type of thing for which general functionality (turning engravers on and off temporarily) can be written in C++.  It'd be possible to do as well in Scheme for any given custom engraver, but this seems like the type of feature that'd be nice to have for all engravers.

Cheers,
MS