Re: piano music with lilypond

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: piano music with lilypond
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:08:10 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM,
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to share some thoughts about piano music with you.
> [...]
>
> Lilypond does in my opinion ~70% perfect job, but takes too much control.
> The score looks pretty beautiful at the first glance, but to make it perfekt
> and complete, you would need such a lot of tweaks or even know how about how
> to create scheme functions just to get more control over what lilypond does
> with the output. So the effort for tweaking exceeds the effort you have in
> Score by far.

I agree that typesetting piano music is probably the most difficult
thing to do well in Lilypond.

> I am a software developer and have know how about C/C++ and Java but I’m not
> willing to learn a new programming language just for the sake of music
> notation.

If you mean "i don't like the idea of having to create complex Scheme
functions to get professional engraving results", i agree.

> My impression is, that lilypond is designed for choir-, orchestral- and
> chambermusic- scores, even the approach of how music is entered, shows that.

You mean that music is entered sequentially, and you cannot see voices
in parallel?  Actually, i have an idea how to improve it.  Look for
"Parallel music view" thread that i will post shortly on user list.

cheers,
Janek