Re: Bug in lyrics placement in mensural music?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Bug in lyrics placement in mensural music?
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:22:33 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; "LilyPond User Group" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 10:50 AM

Phil Holmes wrote Friday, September 28, 2012 9:40 AM

Phil Holmes wrote Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:02 PM

The code below produces the image attached.  As can be seen, using a
StaffGroup with mensural staves places the lyrics above the top stave,
and I
can't find an over-ride that gets them in the proper place.  I _think_
this
must be a bug, but wondering if anyone knows better?

No, it's not a bug.  The problem is not with the lyrics but with
MensuralStaff, which is not accepted by StaffGroup, so they
both get pushed to the bottom.

Thanks, Trevor.  The answer begs the question that it would appear
deliberate that this works wrongly, but it still seems to work wrongly by
default. It would seem that a StaffGroup _should_ accept a MensuralStaff by
default?

That depends on whether the system start brace provided by StaffGroup
is used in mensural music.  I know nothing about ancient music so I've
no idea whether this is the case or not.

Well - strictly, staff groups aren't used at all in music from this period - each part was copied out separately (rather like orchestral music). However, if you're recreating music of this style, you'd want the option to have them all together for checking purposes, if nothing else (like a conductor's score). Whilst I eventually found that you don't need the staff group, it does seem a natural way to do this, and it took me a while to find out a workaround to get lyrics working. My analysis would be similar to David's - unless there's a clear reason for not allowing a MensuralStaff in a StaffGroup (and I can't think of one) it reduces the scope for wasted time if it's added.

--
Phil Holmes