Re: "Parallel music view" - inspiration for LilyPond editors.

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: "Parallel music view" - inspiration for LilyPond editors.
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 08:55:23 +0200

Am 03.10.2012 07:34, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi,

sorry for delay...

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
Disabling automatic line wrapping and using horizontal scrolling is the key :)
Of course, it wouldn't probably make sense to *store* music in this format.
If you don't want to store it in this format, there is no point in
choosing a display form that locally resembles valid input.
why?
The idea is to make /working/ with the code easier.
I'd say from David's POV it wouldn't even make sense to have syntax highlighting, isn't it? And I think we _all_ agree that it's way easier to work with colored code ...

To me it sounds more like what you'd want here is several windows into
the same file with synchronized cursor motion for things happening at
the same musical time.
That would be nice, but it's *definitely not* what i want.

Imagine a piece for medium-sized orchestra (10 instruments, 200
measures).  In LilyPond code, you have to write the instruments
separately from each other - the connection between them is not
visible.  It is difficult to visualise how they blend by looking at
the source code (i'd say it's like trying to visualise a polygon when
all you have is a matrix with coordinates of its vertices).  Anyone
who can effortlessly do this has my respect, but for me it's very
uncomfortable, and i'm sure many people feel the same.
That's why i'd like to have my code formatted in a way that is
visually similar to the actual score.  As i've explained earlier, i
think it's not feasible to do such formatting by hand - that's why i
believe it's something that Lily editors could do.  And they could
allow to switch between "regular" and "horizontal" formatting.

Is this explanation clear?

cheers,
Janek