Re: "Parallel music view" - inspiration for LilyPond editors.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "Parallel music view" - inspiration for LilyPond editors.
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 15:47:41 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> Have you read
>>
>>    http://lwn.net/Articles/514964/
>
> Not yet, thanks for that!
>
>> on Bradley Kuhn's
>>
>>    http://sfconservancy.org/
>
> Actually, I've already asked for making FreeType a conservancy member
> some months ago, and it seems to be a quite slow process...
>
> Maybe we should do the same for LilyPond.

They then manage the project funds (deducting a flat 10%) which are only
to be used for non-profit purposes.  I don't see that my personal
situation, working on LilyPond financed by its users, could be labelled
as non-profit since it is my sole source of income, and I spend it
almost entirely on non-LilyPond related expenses like rent, food,
personal insurance and other stuff.

Now of course my own financial setup is independent so it should not
suffer majorly except that people like independent music publishers,
some of which are among my supporters, would likely prefer
tax-deductible donations to the LilyPond project, preferring non-profit
donation targets.  If we had significant non-profit expenses in the
project, like hosting, or even computers (my current laptop as well as a
backup desktop were donated by LilyPond users/developers), or conference
and travel fees for LilyPond talks on conferences, having a separate
non-profit money channel would make independent sense.

But "provide a living for David, so that he can continue to diddle away
on LilyPond just at what catches his fancy on the spur of a moment" will
be a hard sell to an organisation which ultimately has to report to tax
authorities about their non-profit expenses and planning.

Hey, it is not even an easy sell on the LilyPond users we can reach
ourselves, and I guess that the audience reached by the SFC would not be
that much larger since they don't magically have funds that have _not_
been contributed to them for a _particular_ project.

--
David Kastrup