Re: glissando and how to create concise code

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: glissando and how to create concise code
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 03:22:02 +0200

2012/10/6 Brad Smith <address@hidden>:
>> your first variable `notea' is coded with ly:music? it should be ly:pitch?
>> Furthermore I think it's useful to have the possibility to adjust the
>> duration of `notea', so I added a new variable `dur' with predicate
>> ly:duration?
>> I hope someone with more english-language-skills could give you more
>> detailed explanations.
>>
>> HTH,
>>   Harm
>

> Thank you very much. Changing it to ly:pitch takes care of it. I had
> been going by the examples at
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/substitution-function-examples
> and the only one there that had a note used ly:music. When should you
> use ly:pitch and when should you use ly:music? (Is there a place in
> the documentation that is good for learning these things?)
>
> -- Brad Smith

Hi Brad,

me again.

The function could be simplified to

\version "2.16.0"
\include "english.ly"

glissin =
    #(define-music-function
        (parser location notea)
        (ly:music?) %!!!!!!
        #{
            \hideNotes #(make-music 'GlissandoEvent) \grace $notea \unHideNotes
        #})

tune = {
    c4 d e f |
    g \hideNotes \grace \displayMusic {  f \glissando } \unHideNotes c' b a |
    c4 d e f |
    g \glissin f8 c'4 b a |
}

\score {
    \new Staff {
        \clef "treble_8"
        \time 4/4
        \tune

I don't trust my english to give you detailed explanations. Sorry.
But have a look at the output of \displayMusic.
You'll find more definition-stuff in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets-big-page#index

Cheers,
  Harm