newbie guitar fingering layout question

From: Jim Tisdall
Subject: newbie guitar fingering layout question
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 11:41:22 -0400

Greetings!  I'll introduce myself after asking my question.

I'm new to Lilypond and have a question about laying out some
fingering in guitar material for a new book I'm writing.  I'm
not neglecting the copious documentation, but I'm still on the
learning curve for sure and have missed or misunderstood a lot
as of yet.

Using LilyPond 2.16.0, modified the "scripts.scm" definitions of
\upbow and \downbow  so they are DOWN instead of UP (couldn't
see a way to do that in the score ... yes, I'm a newbie).

The following small example produces a brace of standard notation and tablature:

<lilypond>
 <<
\new Staff {
       \clef "treble_8"
 \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
 \set stringNumberOrientations = #'(up)
 \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(down)  % these are RH

  <e\6\downbow-1> <f\upbow-3> <g\downbow-4>
  <a\5\downbow-1> <b\upbow-3> <c'\downbow-4>
  <d'\4\downbow-1> <e'\upbow-3> <f'\downbow-4>
  <g'\3\downbow-1> <a'\upbow-3>
  <b'\2\downbow-1> <c''\upbow-2>
  <d''\downbow-4> <e''\1\downbow-1> <f''\upbow-2> <g''\downbow-4>
}

\new TabStaff {
        \clef "moderntab"

 \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
 \set stringNumberOrientations = #'(up)
 \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(down)  % these are RH

  <e\6> <f\6> <g\6>
  <a\5> <b\5> <c'\5>
  <d'\4> <e'\4> <f'\4>
  <g'\3> <a'\3>
  <b'\2> <c''\2> <d''\2>
  <e''\1> <f''\1> <g''\1>
}

 </lilypond>

My main question is this: I'd like to have the bow and
left-hand fingering and right-hand fingering appear in the
space between the two staffs, in a straight line, so they
can be seen easily by those reading either the standard
staff above, or the tablature staff below.  How to do?  The
staffs are in synch, so I just need to take the fingering
info from the standard staff and "push it down" so it will
line up underneath (and therefore between the two staffs.)

As part of this, I'll need to figure out how to adjust the
spacing between the staffs ... well really I have many
things I need to learn how to do!

to introduce myself:
I'm a musician and scientist, published author and so forth.
I got interested in computer music way back when and ended
up working with Max Mathews at Bell Labs for seven years.
The computer skills I learned I then used in human genome
project.  But now I'm back to full-time music.  I've played
with some "names" ... I'm fairly eclectic.

I'm writing a large book on guitar technique, Sibelius didn't
have what I needed so I'm turning to Lilypond which does.
I like the edit-compile-run ; I'm trained in several computer
languages.  I'm developing Perl classes to process my
Lilypond scores.  I have programmed in Scheme but not recently,
but it's a comfort to have a real programming language embedded.
(Again, Sibelius with Manuscript seems a bit painful, although
it is a nice WYSIWYG and has many excellent features.)

Thanks and I'm glad I found this software and this community!
Peace,
Jim Tisdall