Re: A whole lot of e-mails

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: A whole lot of e-mails
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:38:13 -0500

On Oct 12, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:

> Fellow Lilyponders:
>
> I recently joined this list serve. Since then I have received not only other
> members inquiries but also multiple responses to each of their inquiries.
>
> Is this the usual practice?

Well, yes.  The Reply-To header is set so that replies go to the sender rather
than the list, so one must "reply all" to include the list which results in
some people getting two copies of the e-mail- one from the sender and one from
the mailing list.  The list owners want replies sent to the list so that the
threads are complete, but also want to have the Reply-To header set to reply to
individuals rather than the list.  This is the only mailing list I am on that
operates this way; I find the logic a bit confusing and the practice somewhat
tedious but it is what it is.  List owners can operate their lists anyway they
want.

My solution is to reply by trying to remember to replace the individual's
e-mail address with the list's e-mail address, thereby resulting in only one
message going to the individual.  I find this less confusing to me when I am
the recipient.