Full measure rest number centered between staves

From: Clément
Subject: Full measure rest number centered between staves
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:44:47 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

After many investigations, I didn't find any automatic way to center vertically
Multi-measure-rest number between two staves.
An example of my goal here (page 3) :
http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/5/55/IMSLP53308-PMLP33488-Holst-
Planets.Harp12.pdf
For the moment, I
1) measure the distance between the two staves with my PDF's viewer measuring
tool
2) make some calculations to convert mm to staff-space, and I must substract 1
in
the case of number 1 (strangely, its reference point is not the 3rd line of the
staff but the 4th one…)
3) don't MultiMeasureRestNumber on the 1st staff and use override command on
MultiMeasureRestNumber #'Y-offset for the 2d staff.
It works, it looks great, but it is very long and boring.
If I modify the score, the space between the two staves can be changed, and I
have
to do it again…!
(Of course, as you can see in the Holst score, centering was not always perfect
in
hand-engraved editions (page 6, 1st system…), which allows me to do some
approximations !)

I believe that it is possible to make it automatic, with scheme or something,
but
I'm not skilled enough to do it by myself…
Perhaps would it be simpler if there was a feature allowing to center all sorts
of
elements between two staves (markups…). I know that there has been some
experiments with dynamics and lyrics.

I hope that lilypond will soon provide this feature : Centered-MMRNumbers are
so
pretty ! :)