Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 119, Issue 54

From: Kevin Patrick Barry
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 119, Issue 54
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:24:03 +0100

Dear LilyPond Users,

How should I go about producing a paper which includes musical examples? In
the past I've exported to a high quality PNG and scaled the image down to
the appropriate size but that inevitably ended up with musical examples
that had different sized staff (even though I tried my best to get them as
close as possible!) I'm talking about just a measure or two that lives
within the text (as a "Figure 1.4", etc). Can LaTeX papers be typeset in
LilyPond? (I noticed there was an extension for TeXShop).

Thank you,
Keehun

You can set the line width in LilyPond to be the same as your textwidth in LaTeX (it depends on the options you use in LaTeX - experimentation will get you the result you want; I use 135 normally, and 155 for documents with the 'fullpage' package) and the resulting .png output should require no scaling (I always output at 600 dpi - I don't know if that makes a difference).  For incorporating musical examples into essays I have found this preferable to using lilypond-book, which seems more suited to producing score books.

Kevin Barry