Re: how to call these notes?

From: Stefan Thomas
Subject: Re: how to call these notes?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:24:33 +0200

Are You sure that is an "Urtext" and not a kind of later arrangement of this piece?

2012/10/17 Mark Stephen Mrotek <address@hidden>
The Harvard Concise is not in my possession.  I do have a copy of Haydn's
Keyboard Concerto No. 11 in D. The acciaccatura (small eight notes with
diagonal stroke "tied" to the principal note) appears multiple times in the
first and third movements. This concerto was published in 1782.

Mark Stephen Mrotek

On 16 Oct 2012, at 19:20, David Rogers wrote:

> I don't have any of the engraving manuals - what is this note called
> in those books? It would probably be better to go along with the
> "industry standard name", even if that name turns out not to be
> perfect.

The Harvard Concise says that originally (c. 1675-1725), acciaccatura was
the crush, but it did not have a special notation. The others are all called
appoggiatura. The slashed grace note notation was invented in the 19th
century, and some came to incorrectly call them acciaccatura. Lilypond
propagates this misconception with \acciaccatura.

Hans