Re: Glissando between single notes in chord

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Glissando between single notes in chord
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 18:59:13 -0500

Hi pabuhr.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM, pabuhr <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've been working on the last version of David Nalesnik's guide-finger code.
> The reason is a horizontal and vertical placement problem when the guide line
> is long and/or at a steep angle. I have managed to fix the vertical problem,

Yes--I was using the Y-extent of the number plus the line, so when the
line extends below the number, both get pushed up.

> but the horizontal problem has me flummoxed.

I'm shifting the stencil to the centered position by altering its
X-extent.  Looks like I made an error in calculation.  I've inserted
the correction in your revised function in the attached file.  (Sorry,
I'm too tired to alter it to fit your changed logic...)

> \version "2.17.4"
> \language english
> #(set-global-staff-size 30)
>
> % left-hand finger guide before note
> #(define (guide-finger slope len fingering)
>   ;; Purpose
>   ;;   add ornamentation line before fingering symbol to indicate figner
> movement along a
>   ;;   string without making a sound (i.e., not a glissando)
>   ;; Parameters
>   ;;   slope : angle of rotation around right centre
>   ;;   len : length of line prefacing fingering
>   ;;   fingering : fingering designation for note
>   (let ((music (make-music 'FingeringEvent)))
>    (set! (ly:music-property music 'tweaks)
>         (acons 'stencil
>          (lambda (grob)
>           (let* (
>                 ;; assign to finger the "digit" property from parameter
> "fingering"
>                 (finger (ly:music-property fingering 'digit))
>                 ;; DOES NEXT LINE GENERATE A STENCIL FROM THE STRING FOR A
> FINGER NUMBER???
>                 ;; IS THERE A WAY TO GENERATE A FINGER STENCIL THAT IS A
> FINGER NUMBER RATHER THAN A MARKUP?
>                 (finger-stil (grob-interpret-markup grob (number->string
> finger)))

Yes, it does exactly that.  As far as I can tell, this function
produces fingering numbers in a similar way to how they are ordinarily
produced, judging by the default settings for Fingering properties
'text and 'stencil (ly:fingering::calc-text found in
scm/output-lib.scm and ly:text-interface::print in
lily/text-interface.cc, respectively).

Hope this helps,
David