Re: Redistributing Emmentaler .otf files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Redistributing Emmentaler .otf files
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 18:10:42 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I want to redistribute the Emmentaler .otf files as part of a GPLed LaTeX
>> package.
>> I recall reading that Emmentaler is GPLed with the font exception (meaning
>> that works created using the fonts aren't implicitely covered by the GPL),
>> but I don't seem to be able to find a copy of the license in the LilyPond
>> distribution.
>
> Hmm.  you may want to look at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-10/msg00607.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-08/msg00554.html
>
>> What would you think:
>>
>> Do I have to include licensing information for Emmentaler in the package?
>> Is it enough if the package as a whole is licensed by GPL?
>> Or is the package GPL basically enough but I have to mention the .otf files
>> explicitely?
>
> my gut feeling is that if you include metafont sources (just in case),
> and the package is GPLed, it should be fine.

The GPL states

      The "Corresponding Source" for a work in object code form means all
    the source code needed to generate, install, and (for an executable
    work) run the object code and to modify the work, including scripts to
    control those activities.

"_including_ scripts to control those activities."  For reusing fonts,
this is not really the most convenient form of licensing when used
exclusively.

--
David Kastrup