Re: Problem with remove bar number/ why I'm not upgrading to the new sta

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with remove bar number/ why I'm not upgrading to the new stable version
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 19:11:58 +0200

james <address@hidden> writes:

> On Oct 25, 2012, at 11:15 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> …
>>  What you are witnessing on the user list is the
>> emergence of "power users", a class of users narrowing the gap between
>> users and core developers.  Yes, they juggle with complex material.  But
>> that does not mean that things have actually become more complex,
>> .…
>
> This. This is exactly why I read the lists far less and respond far
> less. I have no clue when it comes to scheme.

So you would prefer it if people got stuck already at a level you are
more comfortable with?

> Most of the responses involve functions or macros or whatever they're
> called, but generally, when something starts off with #(, I checkout
> mentally because whatever follows will take me at least a half an hour
> (if at all) to understand what I, in my less sophisticated
> understanding of lilypond would have done with \set or \override.

Well, then you should rather applaud the trend to

a) make it possible for power users to write functions and user
interfaces encapsulating more complex functionality, stuff you can then
treat and employ as black boxes solving a task for you while having the
appearance of something that LilyPond can do "natively".

b) make it possible to check out of Scheme again and back into LilyPond
with #{ ... #} for a lot of things.

> In fact, I make very few changes to lilypond (one of its advantages),
> and when I see something like #(, I just search the documentation a
> little bit harder for the \set or \override that will most likely have
> the same effect. Heck, \tweak usually too advanced for me to
> understand.

Which is why little functions like \hide and \omit are useful, and why
things like \single\hideNotes can be used for _fabricating_ a tweak
without needing to look at the details inside.

LilyPond is gaining wings.  Nobody forces you to flap them: sitting
stationary remains quite a valid option.  You are feeling left out; but
the truth is that you can also just hitch a ride wherever other people
are taking her.

--
David Kastrup