Re: why does print-all-headers print the meta-data multiple times?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: why does print-all-headers print the meta-data multiple times?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 01:26:44 +0200

2012/10/27 Nils Gey <address@hidden>:
> Hello list,
>
> Below is a very short lilypond snippet.
> Why is the title printed for each score again if print-all-headers = ##t ?
>
> This is not a question how to work around. I know I can deactivate the
> print-all-header or write an extra header into score with title = "" or ##f.
>
> The question is why is this considered desired behaviour and a feature?
> Implying that I want the same title again over each \score part seems wrong.
> I would expect a new title only when I set one in one of the \scores.

Hi Nils,

AFAIK, by default there is a bookTitelMarkup and a scoreTitleMarkup.
The scoreTitleMarkup "includes" the bookTitelMarkup.
Both are printed by default.

This is done to offer the possibility to define new variables in a
score-header adding them or replacing some values of the
bookTitleMarkup.

Perhaps there is a better way to code it, don't know

> Imagine you have multiple pieces under the same title, then a new title again
> with several pieces, but they still belong to the same project. You need to
> explicitly override all headers in the majority of cases.
>
> Or imagine a .ly file with only one \score but the print-all-headers is in
> that really complex and brilliant template you normally use. You need to
> change you template now or create a redundant version.
>

> So in conclusion:
> If there is a paper option I missed to prevent the repeated print for each
> new \score I would be happy to use it.

You could use
scoreTitleMarkup = ##f
in \paper

> But even if there is I wonder why this is the default behaviour.
>

> Greetings,
>
> Nils

Regards,
  Harm