RE: One staff, two voices

From: Daniel Rosen
Subject: RE: One staff, two voices
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 02:25:37 +0000

You always need to enclose simultaneous music in <<double angle brackets>>.
Here's how the third bar of your fugue might look:

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = "upper" <<
    \new Voice {
      \relative c' {
        \voiceOne \key cis \major
        cis8 cis'16 bis cis dis eis fis gis16 fisis eis fisis gis fis eis dis |
    \new Voice {
      \relative c' {
        \voiceTwo
        r4 r8 cis eis16 dis cis dis bis'8 gis

  \new Staff = "lower" { \clef "bass" \key cis \major R1 | }

This is the first time I've answered a question on the list (I've only asked a
couple so far), but I don't think I'd be out of line by asking you to use tiny
examples in the future. I wasn't sure what music belonged where in your
example, and I had to get out my copy of the WTC to figure it out... not sure
how many other users on here would have gone to that effort. ;-)

DR