Re: dynamics positioning

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: dynamics positioning
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:52:02 +0100

On 29 oct. 2012, at 15:13, Daniel Rosen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, first of all, in the future, you can just paste code right into the
> body of your email, like I'm about to do--no need for an attachment. :-) And
> second, I would dispute that you couldn't get it smaller--like the page I
> referenced says, very few tiny examples are longer than about 10 lines of
> code. That being said...
>
> You need to include the Dynamics context within your score block, like so:
>
> dynamics = {
>  \time 3/8
>  \times 2/3 { s8\mf s32 s32 s8.\pp \times 8/13 { s64 s16 s16 s16\pp } s64.
> s64 s64.] } |
> }
>
> % All other variables go here, unchanged %
>
> {
>  \new StaffGroup <<
>    \new Dynamics \dynamics
>    \new Staff = "cymbals" \cymbals
>    \new Staff = "temple" \temple
>    \new Staff = "toms" \toms
>    \new Staff = "conga" \conga
>    \new Staff = "snare"  \snare
>>>
> }
>
> Unfortunately, while this corrects the horizontal alignment of the grobs
> within the Dynamics context, they now collide with the beams, so the vertical
> spacing needs to be adjusted. I'm not sure how to do that without having to
> adjust 'Y-offset for each individual DynamicText, so I'm gonna have to punt
> this to someone else on the list.
>
> DR

I had to take a break from LilyPond development for a couple months but I hope
to be back on board in a month or so.  This was the exact problem that I was
working on.  The long and short of it is that LilyPond does not know how to
handle cross-staff objects in vertical spacing.  As a result, there are
collisions.  There is no good way to get around this save manually overriding
things like Y-offset or, if necessary, extra-Y-offset.

Cheers,
MS