Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 119, Issue 128

From: Joseph Haig
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 119, Issue 128
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:05:35 +0000

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:30:59 -0400
From: "Keith N. McKenna" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Well there be improvements to Gregorian Chant?

Good-day All;

I have recently been experimenting with lilypond because it has some
support for Gregorian Chant. The first thing that bit was was of course
the problems with lyric alignment with ligatures. After perusing the
archives or the list this seems to be an ongoing problem. My question is
will there be more development in this area, and are there work arounds
that are somewhat understandable for a non-programmer novice such as myself.

Regards
Keith

I don't want to sound too negative but I tried using Gregorian Chant in Lilypond a few years ago and found that, other than the most basic chant, it doesn't work very well at all. At that time there wasn't a great deal of interest amongst the developers to work on this, which I fully understand considering how huge Lilypond is and how many higher priorities there are. I would very much like to hear that considerable work has been done to this feature since I looked at it but, in the event that this is not the case, you might be interested instead in looking at Gregorio (http://home.gna.org/gregorio/), which is designed for only typesetting Gregorian Chant.