Polyphony

From: Mark Stephen Mrotek
Subject: Polyphony
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:49:33 -0700

Fellow Users:

Using the Frescobaldi wizard (Tools/Setup New Score), I created a Piano Staff for three polyphonic voices. (I am coding WTC 1 Fugue 3.)

\score {

  \new PianoStaff \with {

    instrumentName = "Piano"

  } <<

    \new Staff = "right" \with {

      midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"

    } << \rightOne \\ \rightTwo >>

    \new Staff = "left" \with {

      midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"

    } { \clef bass \left }

  \layout { }

  \midi {

    \context {

      \Score

      tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 100 4)

I could find only one reference to polyphony in the Lilypond online documentation - Notation Reference 1.5.2. That reference was for only single staff.

I am unable to locate directions on how to do two types of notation.

The first is how to have the notation for the middle voice move from the treble staff to the bass staff and back (This to avoid ledger lines.) The online documentation (Notation Reference 2.2.1) provides instruction for all pitch notations in the treble moving to the bass. Directions to relevant portions of the manual would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

The second is how to make a voice “silent” for several measures. In a completed coding of the same piece (Mutopiaproject.org), Davide Castellone using version 2.9.9 enters the code: s1 s1*5 s1 s1 s1. I have attempted this command in my code. It gets an error message.

Does version 2.16.0 have a comparable command? Where is it discussed in the manual?

Thank you for your kind attention.

Mark Stephen Mrotek