Re: increase vertical space

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: increase vertical space
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 01:20:18 +0100

On 2012-11-01 22:54, Eluze wrote:
Janek Warchoł-2 wrote
This may sound surprising, but there are many cases when LilyPond's
vertical spacing could be noticeably improved (i admit that most of
these cases would matter only to a demanding professional engraver).

+999

Except that some very easy cases also matter to normal users. E.g. simply take a look at my empty score sheets and see how they look when you remove all the overrides in the \paper block):
http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/en/empty-scoresheets.html

I believe there are such cases and therefore I'm glad we have the
possibility to use Harms' solution (or others).

but if we want to improve the spacing we definitely need some traceable
examples!

As I run into several bad vertical spacing issues (I have some overrides that work most of the time, but terribly break with a 100-pages full score with 23 instruments and 12 movements...), I started writing a test file containing exactly such examples a while ago.

Unfortunately, my time is really constrained currently (had a concert with SS Rattle last saturday/sunday, an upcoming opera premiere in the Theater an der Wien and a normal day job), so I have only some cases for single-staff scores... The staff groups are much more fun (i.e. cause way more trouble to get the spacing richt), but I haven't even started on them. I hope to find more time in the next few weeks/months, but I can't promise anything.

Cheers,
REinhold
Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886