Re: increase vertical space

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: increase vertical space
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 01:56:26 -0700 (PDT)

Reinhold Kainhofer-3 wrote
> On 2012-11-01 22:54, Eluze wrote:
>> Janek Warchoł-2 wrote
>>> This may sound surprising, but there are many cases when LilyPond's
>>> vertical spacing could be noticeably improved (i admit that most of
>>> these cases would matter only to a demanding professional engraver).
>
> +999
>
> Except that some very easy cases also matter to normal users. E.g.
> simply take a look at my empty score sheets and see how they look when
> you remove all the overrides in the \paper block):

I removed all the /spacing/ variables in a few of these scores and I think
the output does not look bad (except maybe for the lacking distance of the
footnote) - maybe vertical spacing has improved since you wrote your empty
score sheets (2.12.3)?!

also, this could be considered as a matter of style and perhaps it would be
good to (pre-)define different styles - I'm thinking of a /normal/ versus a
/narrow/ style to use in a performance where you can't scroll through tens
of pages, or a style for weak-sighted people …

>> I believe there are such cases and therefore I'm glad we have the
>> possibility to use Harms' solution (or others).
>>
>> but if we want to improve the spacing we definitely need some traceable
>> examples!
>
> As I run into several bad vertical spacing issues (I have some overrides
> that work most of the time, but terribly break with a 100-pages full
> score with 23 instruments and 12 movements...), I started writing a test
> file containing exactly such examples a while ago.
>
> Unfortunately, my time is really constrained currently (had a concert
> with SS Rattle last saturday/sunday, an upcoming opera premiere in the
> Theater an der Wien and a normal day job), so I have only some cases for
> single-staff scores... The staff groups are much more fun (i.e. cause
> way more trouble to get the spacing richt), but I haven't even started
> on them.
> I hope to find more time in the next few weeks/months, but I can't
> promise anything.

please do!

Eluze