Re: increase vertical space

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: increase vertical space
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 23:38:29 +0100

On 2012-11-03 22:32, Noeck wrote:
On 2012-11-01 22:54, Eluze wrote:
Janek Warchoł-2 wrote
This may sound surprising, but there are many cases when LilyPond's
vertical spacing could be noticeably improved (i admit that most of
these cases would matter only to a demanding professional engraver).

+999

Except that some very easy cases also matter to normal users. E.g.
simply take a look at my empty score sheets and see how they look when
you remove all the overrides in the \paper block):
http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/en/empty-scoresheets.html

I checked it out and can't see any obvious/shocking difference.

Some examples:
-) Single staff: Without the spacing settings, the first staff is uncomfortably close to the upper edge of the paper, the last staff is uncomfortably close to the footer. Even if there are only very few systems on per page (i.e. lots of stretching involved), the top and bottom margin do not stretch at all, which makes them look even more glued to the top/bottom.

-) Full orchestra score: All staves and groups are spaced equally (actually, not equally, some distances seem larger than others, but I fail to see any understandable reason), while in normal scores, the stretching within staff groups should be less than the space between staff groups.

-) If you create an organ score with 7 systems per page (not possible in the script, since it is vertically crowded and not really suitable for hand-writing notes into it), the space between the manual and the pedal will be larger than the space between two systems.

And all these do not even include pages with multiple scores and title markups between them...

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886