Musicology Lectures

From: James
Subject: Musicology Lectures
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 11:26:10 +0000

Hello,

I thought this might be of interest to some who transcribe old/ancient
editions of music, or to those who have a general interest in things
like 'composers intent'.

This is a single lecture - contains full transcript and video as well
as audio (reading the transcript it is obvious that some reference to
'projected' material is being made during the lecture - so maybe the
video would be better - but just having the transcript doesn't really
detract).

Anyway:

Overview:

Musical notation is both inexact and changeable; the assumptions of
one period may be lost on following generations, and the greater part
of written music still remains unpublished at the present day. The
challenges of editing and presenting a text, either of a well-known
classic or of an unknown writer differ in music from those faced in
the similar worlds of literature or Biblical criticism. The dilemmas
created by composers' second thoughts and revisions, and disciples'
'improvements' require a 'correct' way of presenting obsolete
information to the modern performer and raise questions which can both
change our attitude to familiar works and resurrect forgotten
treasures.

http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/from-composer-to-printed-page

There are also a lot of other interesting Music-related (as well as
other diverse subjects - I stumbled across this while stumbling (I do
a lot of stumbling on the internet it seems!) over an interesting
lecture on the history of food publications.

Regards

James