Re: dashed ties and line breaks

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: dashed ties and line breaks
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 06:39:00 -0600

Hi Tao,

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM, TaoCG <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was trying to make a tie dashed before and solid after a line break.
> I tried \tieHalfDashed but it makes both ties half dashed.
> Is there any way to do this?

This is a case where you can use \alterBroken, which is a function new
to 2.16.  This command allows you to make changes to the parts of
broken spanners independently.  Here, I've applied LilyPond's default
settings for a dashed tie to the first part of the broken spanner, and
settings for an ordinary tie to the second.  (Alternatively, you can
just leave out the second group of settings, but I put it in in case
you want to see what to modify if you want to do something special to
the last half of the tie.)

There's been a syntax change in the latest development version, which
allows for greater flexibility.  You can now use the command as a
tweak (thanks to David Kastrup).

I show both versions below.  (Note that running convert-ly on an older
file will update the syntax automatically.)

\version "2.16.0"

\relative c'' {
  \once \alterBroken Tie #'dash-definition #'( ((0 1 0.4 0.75)) ((0 1 1 1)) )
% or \once \alterBroken Tie #'dash-definition #'( ((0 1 0.4 0.75)) ()
% or  \once \alterBroken Tie #'dash-definition #'( ((0 1 0.4 0.75)) )
 )
  c1~
  \break

\version "2.17.6"

\relative c'' {
  \once \alterBroken #'dash-definition #'( ((0 1 0.4 0.75)) ((0 1 1 1)) ) Tie
  c1~
  \break

HTH,
David