Re: Reheaseals with irregular bars

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Reheaseals with irregular bars
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 15:52:19 +0100

Hi Jacques,

Difficult for me to answer, because I don't know the programmer internals of LP to give you a correct answer. Also I see in reality different kinds of numbering also in scores done by commercial publishers. For example the numbering of the bars underneath the first repeat alternatives is done in several ways. I don't know if there is any agreement on how it "should" be done. Sometimes engravers continue the numbering, sometimes these bars are numbered the same. In your example as you change the length of a measure, should one still count is a one (1) complete measure, or count it as partial (3/4) or whatever. In general one can only code in any program (including LP) what you can write down in an algorithm to start with. And such an algorithm needs firm rules: if <this situation> then <we do that>, etc.

In the past I've seen multiple situations in which LP didn't know the right number (as I think it should be) anymore because of changes (partial measures, etc.), so then I did set it right manually. After all the musical score is my goal.

Maybe someone with internals knowledge on the bar-numbering can look at this?

And/Or from a musical theoretical point: what are the rules for this?

One remark on your code: You mention you use the measureLength in LP 2.17. That trick is already available in earlier versions, but then your code states "2.15.11". Be carefull mixing things you would think (assume) would work from one version into another. Here it works because it was already available, but in other situations you might have some surprises.

Regards,
Wim.