Incipit issues

From: Daniel Rosen
Subject: Incipit issues
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 03:19:34 +0000

I've created an incipit for a piece I'm working on, but there's a minor issue
with it. Here's the code.

%%% Example begins

\version "2.16.0"

disIncip = \markup {
  \score {
    {
      \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup \right-column { Discantus [Tenor] }
      \override Staff.InstrumentName #'padding = #1
      \override Staff.InstrumentName #'self-alignment-X = #1
      \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'neomensural
      \clef "petrucci-c3"
      \time 2/2
      \key g \minor
      \hideNotes g'8    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%   <-- This is the line at issue
    }
    \layout {
      indent = 0

\new ChoirStaff \with { \override SystemStartBracket #'collapse-height = #0 } {
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = \disIncip
    \override InstrumentName #'padding = #2
    \override InstrumentName #'self-alignment-X = #1
  } { c''1 }
}
\layout {
  indent = 5\cm
}

%%% Example ends

The line I've pointed out above is what I'm frustrated about. The hidden eighth
note generates, as would be expected, an empty staff symbol where the note
would be if it wasn't hidden. I'm trying to get that to go away so that the
incipit resembles those at the beginning of this piece
(http://www3.cpdl.org/wiki/images/3/37/TALL-SA1.pdf), but I can't figure out
how. Commenting out the line entirely results in both the incipit and the
instrument name ("Discantus [Tenor]") not showing up at all. Changing the
hidden eighth note to a spacer rest (i.e. s8 instead of \hideNotes g'8) fixes
the spacing issue, but it also results in the staff symbol stopping
unexpectedly in the middle of the key signature, as in the attachment. How can
I fix this?

DR