Re: Weird Crescendo/Decrescendo Behavior

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Weird Crescendo/Decrescendo Behavior
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 17:11:39 -0000

Keehun Nam wrote Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:43 PM

> I've been annoyed with how crescendi and decrescendi work in LilyPond and I
> am hoping that I'm only using them wrong instead of the software being weak.
>
> If I used the following code:
>
> r4 r8^\markup{"Solo"} \acciaccatura{ e''16[ g16]} f16^>-\p_\>( e~ |
> e4.) \acciaccatura {g8} f^>\>~ |
> f4.\!  \acciaccatura {g8}  f^>\>~ |
> f8[\!  \acciaccatura {e16[ g16]} f16->( e16\>~] e4 \!) |
>
> the following occurs (first few solo notes on the previous system)
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> So the first slur, I'm letting it terminate "by itself" by not declaring a
> \! and it runs all the way under to the left side of the next note F where
> a another decrescendo starts. Then in the next one, I tried another way
> which is to terminate it after the quarter note expecting the decrescendo
> to run to the right side of the dotted quarter note on measure 47, however,
> it doesn't even reach across the bar line. What is wrong? Am I doing
> something wrong? I read the documentation and it said that this sort of
> code (terminating it after the note I want it to go to) should have the
> decrescendo end at the right side of the note the \! is attached to... This
> one is far off from that! (Doesn't even reach to the left side of the note).

You describe the normal default behaviour, but there is an exception,
mentioned further down in the documentation about dynamics, under
Selected Snippets, which says:

"Setting hairpin behavior at bar lines

"If the note which ends a hairpin falls on a downbeat, the hairpin stops at the
bar line immediately preceding. This behavior can be controlled by overriding
the 'to-barline property."

So if you add
\override Hairpin #'to-barline = ##f
you should obtain the behaviour you want.

Trevor