Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 120, Issue 37

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 120, Issue 37
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:55:34 +0100

soundsfromsound <address@hidden> writes:

> David,
>
> I just wanted to respond and say that I understand what you wrote and now am
> fully on the same page with you as far as how the digest/mailing list is
> organized and maintained.  For my future responses, I'll trim all quotes as
> needed, and make sure that I do all that I can to ensure clarity and
> coherency in my replies.
>
> I hope this will help everyone keep track of the contents of the many
> threads here.  Sorry again if I upset anyone, I'm still learning my
> way around here.  Every forum is a little different in how they handle
> the finer details in these sorts of situations.

Well, a "forum" is usually organized primarily by some web-based
software, and that software widely determines the finer details.

Now for better or worse (in my opinion, mostly for better),
lilypond-user is essentially a mailing list, which is, uh, a group of
(mostly) consenting people conversing by mail.  Since the media of a
mailing list and of "Usenet" share a lot of common traits, you can't go
wrong much by applying the relevant rules from one to the other.

I'd use the "we all had to learn the rules at some time" moniker, but
actually I was around when they evolved.  But even something "official"
like <URL:http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855> does not really elaborate
on the fine points of quoting.

I am sure there are lists where the learning experience can be a lot
less pleasurable than here.

All the best

--
David Kastrup