Re: Version Control and Public Repository

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Version Control and Public Repository
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 19:13:19 +0100

Am 11.11.2012 17:43, schrieb Stjepan Horvat:
hi..i have the same question..?!
I reed somewhere that git isn't intended for binary packages..
What Git does is comparing files line by line, which essentially works only for text files.
It stores the differences between the files which can be a single line between two versions of a file.
If it has to compare two versions of a binary file (e.g. a PDF) it  has to store the complete files of each version.
This isn't efficient, but it works.
I think the general approach is to ignore (i.e. exclude them from the git repository) files that are
a) unnecessary (like backup or intermediate files) or
b) can easily be recreated from the textual source files.
  • So I would generally put *.pdf in the .gitignore file because they can be easily recreated with LilyPond.
  • If you want to have them as public downloads for people who don't have LilyPond, you can include them in the repository, but I would suggest to exclude them by default and only add them (with 'git add -f filename.pdf) when you consider them finished, so they probably won't change anymore)
  • Or even better, if you want to provide them as downloads, don't include them in the git repository but present them explicitely on the download page of your Github repository

I hope this makes it somewhat clearer.

and i transcribed (by ear) many scores i don't have rights for..

how do you handle this kind of staff..
What are the laws related to such situations?!
Or course that depends on who actually has rights for the music.
I have opened a few randomly selectdes scores of your github-project. Some of them seem to be 'pop?'-songs with an author, but some might equally be 'traditionals'?
Of course that makes a big difference.
It does _not_ make a difference how you got the music (by ear or score).

HTH

Urs

this is what my brother and i are working on https://github.com/schef/duhovni-projekt/