Re: Aleatoric / modern notation

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Aleatoric / modern notation
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 16:55:44 -0600

Ben,

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM, SoundsFromSound
<address@hidden> wrote:
> David,
>
> Thanks for the feedback! It's sad to hear that boxed notation is a bit
> challenging in LilyPond (i.e. not possible without "breaking" parts of it) -
> do you think there will ever be a native, more acceptable way to do boxed
> notation in the future?  I'm not much a programmer so I apologize if that is
> a silly question, but it'd be awesome if it could be implemented.  I'm not
> sure if you mean it's not possible yet, or not possible from a programming
> standpoint.

At some point in time, I do hope that there is an interface which will
allow users to define fully functioning grobs within .ly files.  I
think that will be a giant step forward for the program, as it will
lead to all sorts of new capabilities. I can't speak to the details of
how this will be done as this is beyond my skill level.

The current way to create new grobs is to make the necessary additions
to the various files in the code base.  (This is what was done
recently to create the MeasureCounter grob.)

It should be possible to add frame notation this way, but I think it
will be a long road!  (If you do use this engraver, please let me know
if you run into problems or wish it could do something it can't; I'll
be happy to try to improve it, and possibly do this the "right way" if
it's promising...)

Best,
David