Re: Aleatoric / modern notation

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Aleatoric / modern notation
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 16:25:58 -0800 (PST)

David:

I'll keep you posted for sure.  Say, do you suppose that this boxed notation
utility could be implemented sooner (and perhaps with more powerful
features) in LilyPond if funding/support increased?  If so, this is one
feature where I'd absolutely give all that I could to make possible. :) $

Ben

David Nalesnik-2 wrote
> Ben,
>
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM, SoundsFromSound
> <

> soundsfromsound@

> > wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback! It's sad to hear that boxed notation is a bit
>> challenging in LilyPond (i.e. not possible without "breaking" parts of
>> it) -
>> do you think there will ever be a native, more acceptable way to do boxed
>> notation in the future?  I'm not much a programmer so I apologize if that
>> is
>> a silly question, but it'd be awesome if it could be implemented.  I'm
>> not
>> sure if you mean it's not possible yet, or not possible from a
>> programming
>> standpoint.
>>

> At some point in time, I do hope that there is an interface which will
> allow users to define fully functioning grobs within .ly files.  I
> think that will be a giant step forward for the program, as it will
> lead to all sorts of new capabilities. I can't speak to the details of
> how this will be done as this is beyond my skill level.
>
> The current way to create new grobs is to make the necessary additions
> to the various files in the code base.  (This is what was done
> recently to create the MeasureCounter grob.)
>
> It should be possible to add frame notation this way, but I think it
> will be a long road!  (If you do use this engraver, please let me know
> if you run into problems or wish it could do something it can't; I'll
> be happy to try to improve it, and possibly do this the "right way" if
> it's promising...)
>
> Best,
> David

-----