Re: Aleatoric / modern notation

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Aleatoric / modern notation
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:20:12 +0100

Hi,

you seem to use some very strange quotation style.  Please use regular
quotation style (i.e. your text without > marks, each quotation level
has one > more).

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM, SoundsFromSound
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Janek Warchoł-2 wrote
>> - contributing to Lily yourself (i.e. writing code, or documentation,
>> or helping with organizing things - you don't have to be a programmer
>> to help) also has a positive effect on lily development in general,
>> but the difference wrt/ implementing boxed notation won't be
>> noticeable unless you start working on boxed notation itself,
>
> I wish I could contribute more to the notation programming itself but
> I'm not a strong programmer (unless you count OOP like MaxMSP, etc) -
> so that really isn't an option for me.

as i've said, there are tasks not involving programming.  And they do
make a difference.

>> - you can pay one of the experienced developers to implement
>> specifically this feature.  But that would probably be expensive, as
>> programming work is expensive in general.  You'll probably need to
>> find several other people willing to pay for this.
>
> I'm confused, I thought David was a developer - no?

Yes, he is.  Our most active one at the moment.

> You said paying him would not be a likely path to seeing
> this boxed notation implemented further, but rather just to help LilyPond
> in general, progress as software.

It depends.  You can add $10/month to the "general David fund", just
to enable David working on LilyPond in general (that's continouous
financial support).  Or you can negotiate a specific contract with him
- or someone else - where you'd give that person a significantly
bigger amount of money once and he'd implement something specific
(that's hiring a programmer to implement a feature).

> How would one go about getting an "estimate" with regards to requests like
> this one?

No idea.  I don't know how much work this feature would require.  A
wild guess would be something between 5 and 50 hours for an
experienced programmer.  Considering appropriate programmer salaries,
that means anywhere between $200 and $3000.
But my estimate could just as well be totally wrong right from the start.

> Thank you for clarifying this for me, because up until this
> point, I thought the boxed notation situation was in its current state
> because it simply was not possible (from a coding standpoint or something)
> - not a matter of time/funding/desire for modern notation possibilities.

Well, almost everything is possible when you have enough money.  If
someone would give us a million dollars, we would hire a dozen
experienced programmers for a year and after that time LilyPond would
become a completely different project, possibly overcoming many
present problems (and inventing new ones ;P).  Do you have a
millionaire friend, perchance?

best,
Janek