Re: Optional args in event-function not working with 2.17.6 ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Optional args in event-function not working with 2.17.6 ?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 23:17:47 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/11/12 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> c)
>>> The functions above are using two optional arguments.
>>> And I'm able to omit both optional arguments or the second.
>>> But I can't omit only the first.
>>> Why?
> [...]
>> I am pretty sure that "Extending LilyPond" describes this, though
>> probably without giving the rationale for it.
>
> I should really reread the docs from time to time, refreshing my memory.

Well, it is mostly a design question and thus not cast in stone, but it
seemed like the most consistent and useful behavior creating a coherent
design for dealing with \default, its preexisting uses, optional
arguments, and the consideration that skipped optional arguments should
not be ending up in completely different expressions or function calls.

I don't think that the type-based optional argument mechanism can be
extended much beyond this point without getting more ambiguities and
quirks than actual use cases.

--
David Kastrup