Invoking external programs from a lilypond source

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Invoking external programs from a lilypond source
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:49:47 +0100

This is kind of a duplicate of a question I raised in another thread,
but I think it's a rather generic idea, and I wanted it to be noticed by people who wouldn't look into a 'TikZ' thread.

Is it possible to write a Scheme function that invokes an external program from within a LilyPond source file?

This function should pass some input (from the LilyPond file) to the external program and return some results from the program into the score.

Two use examples:
  1. (from the initial thread)
    In the input file there is some code for TikZ.
    This code is passed to a script that somehow produces an .eps file from the code.
    The result of the function is the code to include this .eps file into the score.
  2. A musical _expression_ (or a string with plain LilyPond code) is passed to the external program.
    The external program somehow processes this music and
    returns a musical _expression_.
    This could be great for algorithmic composition or any other 'generative' uses

Best
Urs