Re: parentesized trill note colliding with ties

From: Nathan
Subject: Re: parentesized trill note colliding with ties
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:28:59 -0800

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Jeffrey Trevino <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to get my parenthesized trill notes to stop colliding with ties, and I think there are a couple things I can learn by solving this problem.

First, I can't tell why the collision is happening -- is there a best practice for figuring out why elements collide?

Second, I know that some collisions happen because of engraver order. Is there a place I can look to see the default order of engravers, and how I can change this order?

If the collision should be avoided by changing padding, it looks like I might want to add some overrides to the PitchedTrillEngraver's TrillPitchGroup grob at the level of the voice context (according to the Internals reference).

thanks for taking a look,
Jeff

Here are two ways of fixing such collisions manually:

\new Staff \relative c'' {
  % Collision:
  \pitchedTrill b1~\startTrillSpan d b1\stopTrillSpan

  % Fixed by moving tie:
  \once \override Tie #'Y-offset = #0.75
  \pitchedTrill b1~\startTrillSpan d b1\stopTrillSpan

  % Fixed by reshaping tie (2.16+):
  \shape Tie #'((0 . 0.5) (0 . 0.75) (0 . 0.75) (0 . 0.5))
  \pitchedTrill b1~\startTrillSpan d b1\stopTrillSpan
}

But it seems to me that you want an automated solution, so this probably isn't very helpful.

Regards,
Nathan