Re: Variable names? (was: Re: Adding 3-column section to score)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Variable names? (was: Re: Adding 3-column section to score)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:29:01 +0100

2012/11/18 Wim van Dommelen <address@hidden>:
> Hi Harm, and others,
>
> I wondered in this discussion what you were exactly trying to achieve, so I
> copied your code and compiled it. Very nice!
>
> And after the copy I saw a weird thing (nothing to do with this specific
> example!): You use "non-standard" characters and numbers as names of the
> variables. I gasped, I didn't know this was possible at all. I always use
> rather generic names and with multiple instruments or pieces I always use
> things like: trumpetApieceB or similar. Now I see, it can also be something
> like:
>
> H₂O→trumpet¹pieceª = { ... }
>
> (I just tried it and this works). But the learning manual states (v.2.16.0,
> p. 37, the only reference I could find on this): "The name of a variable
> must have alphabetic characters only, no numbers, underscores, or
> dashes." which I always interpreted as: A-Z, a-z and 0-9 from the regular
> ASCII set. Now I see also other characters used.
>
> My question: Is this use of different (utf8) characters supported "by
> accident", or on purpose? I would welcome this change but not when it can be
> broken in the future. And if "yes" can someone update the documentation to
> provide some guideline as what to do and what not to do.... With some
> examples?
>
> Regards,
> Wim.

Hi Wim,

I've not the knowledge to answer your questions definitely.
David Kastrup could say much more about it. (And there are several
discussions about that topic here on the list and on devel.)

I think/speculate that the problem of using customized variable-names
is located in the way the parser interprets them, p.e.:
numbers as duration
- or _ or ^ as direction-identifier
etc

But I can say that using ¹ ² ³ etc works for 2.12.3 (the oldest
version I've installed) up to the newest devel-version.
And it works for Linux (my OS) and windows (I learned it from a windows-user).

Cheers,
  Harm