Re: hspace behaviour

From: Phil Burfitt
Subject: Re: hspace behaviour
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:19:20 -0000

Eluze wrote

Phil Burfitt wrote
Hi,

I have just upgraded from version 2.13.17 to 2.17.7.

Has the behaviour of \hspace changed in any way? It does not seem to act
upon negative values anymore.

example:

\markup {
    \override #'(circle-padding . 0.55)
    \fontsize #-2.5 { "tune " \circle 3 \hspace #-2 "to f #" }
}

now leaves a large space between the circled "3" and the following "to f
#"
which in ver. 2.13.17 I could reduce with a negative \hspace.

obviously it disappeared with version 2.15.7, but I don't know the reasons

forwarded this question to the bug-list:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/negative-values-for-hspace-don-t-work-anymore-td136610.html

thanks for your report!

Eluze

Thanks!

I've just discovered \translate (don't know how I've missed that one for so long!) which does the job nicely, though why am I having to do this? why is there so much space after the circled "3" ?

Regards,
Phil.