Vertical spacing of toplevel markups

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Vertical spacing of toplevel markups
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 16:12:21 +0100

Dear friends,

I want to space text stanzas (as toplevel markups) evenly, whether they
have 2, 4, 6 or more lines.

But it seems the vertical spacing of markups looks at the distance from
the first line of every markup and not at the distance from the last
line to the first of the next:

This code:

\version "2.14.2"

\paper {
  markup-markup-spacing = #
  '((basic-distance . 5)
    (minimum-distance . 3)
    (padding . 0)
    (stretchability . 1))
}

\markup {
  \column {
    \line { 1. hoi hoi }

\markup {
  \column {
    \line { 2. hoi hoi }
    \line { hai hai }

\markup {
  \column {
    \line { 3. hei hei }
    \line { no no }

%% results in attachted picture.

It can be seen that markup 2 and 3 collide, instead of taking the same
distance as 1 and 2.

Is there any way to solve this?

I don't want to use padding, because the spacing should be flexible,
i.e. if I want to, LilyPond might place the stanzas closer to each
other.

Thanks for any help.
Wilbert

--