Re: lyrics to music

From: Fr. Michael Gilmary, mma
Subject: Re: lyrics to music
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:13:07 -0500

On Nov 21 AD 2012, at 1:49 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

So you're going to write out the music multiple times, each beamed differently to suit the different syllabic structures of each verse? As an engraver of a lot of multi-verse vocal music, I'm definitely glad I'll never have to face that nightmare… But I'm glad to hear you've settled on the answer you were looking for. =)

No, given the needs here, I'll probably set the music with one verse and put the other verses outside the music. Maronite music follows a rhythmic pattern of syllables and not the usual measure of time with western-style music --- so the "measures" in the music that's been engraved in recent years have no time signature as such. I'm just trying to find what works best for our choir which isn't chiefly looking at the music (since many melodies are used for a variety of hymns) but at the lyrics.

Here's a conjecture: maybe music used to be engraved by focusing on the lyrics because music engravers were mostly typographers and not musicians. Today, however, musicians can engrave their own music and emphasize what works best from the perspective of music and not the lyrics.

Thanks, again!

United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery