Re: review of a Mutopia file (why TabStaff gives error here?)

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: review of a Mutopia file (why TabStaff gives error here?)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 18:11:07 -0800

Federico Bruni <fedelogy <at> gmail.com> writes:

I've updated to 2.16 the following piece of Mutopia:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=636
Can anyone review it?

I made one pass through, and made potential-corrections as I went. (attached)
Hopefully you can use a 'diff' program to see the changes.

Some string numbers were applied to a whole chord (single-note chords
presumably because fingering to the left only works within chords) so they
didn't print.  I put string numbers for the bass notes below the staff.

With a few more fingerings to resolve ambiguity, you could leave the string
numbers un-printed.  I suppose LilyPond still needs them in the input to
generate tablature.

The more-usual bar numbering for alternatives is available in 2.16
  \set Score.alternativeNumberingStyle = #'numbers

You can put the coda on its own line, and ragged-right, with
  \bar "||" \break
  %% Coda
  %{ ... the music in the coda ... %}
  \bar "|." \stopStaff s1

You might not have seen that Nick posted a much nicer formatting for barre
indications.
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-11/msg00570.html>
It avoids taking apart LilyPond's internal data structures, which makes it
better for mutopiaproject.

You can adjust Nick's function to use it as \barre 3 { %{ music %} } and have
it set minimumFret=3 so you don't need so many string number entries.  Scheme
can convert to Roman numerals.
barre = #(define-music-function (parser location
  strg music) (number? ly:music?)
  #{
    \set TabStaff.minimumFret = $strg
    \set TabStaff.restrainOpenStrings = ##t
    \once\override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text)
          = #(format #f "B address@hidden" strg)
     %{ ... Nick's other style settings ...%}
    <>\startTextSpan
    $music
    <>\stopTextSpan
    \unset TabStaff.minimumFret