Re: vspace with non-integer argument does not work

From: Olivier Biot
Subject: Re: vspace with non-integer argument does not work
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:26:13 +0100

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 1:25 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
2012/11/24 Olivier Biot <address@hidden>:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to specify non-integer values for vertical spacing with
> vspace? I read once that it was possible, but apparently not (anymore) in
> version 2.16.0 or 2.16.1.

vspace works with integers: \vspace #1 etc
numbers: \vspace #1.23
(even \vspace #(* 4 (atan 1)) is valid input)
and fractions: \vspace #1/2

Okay, good to know :-)

> The following does compile without errors but the non-integer values are
> apparently silently transformed into "1"

No, don't forget that the \center-column-command uses a baseline-skip
with value 3
Very little divergations (0.01 or 2/300) will hardly be noticeable.

And this is something I was unaware of. I now re-read the documentation of center-column and indeed it states that property "baseline-skip" is used. I was not aware of the implication of that note in that section. Boxing the texts and setting baseline-skip to zero

I'll have to reread the entire documentation now :-)

Many thanks again Thomas!

Best regards,

Olivier