Re: Aleatoric / modern notation

From: Jeffrey Trevino
Subject: Re: Aleatoric / modern notation
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 07:58:00 -0800

Hi there,

The box construct from this thread is working fine on my machine, but I'd like to know how to add one important feature to it: It's currently the case that the arrow isn't "breakable," i. e. if the box's entire duration exceeds the graphic space of the first line, the arrow stops on the first line and you end up with a bunch of blank space on the second line. How can the arrow break and continue on the second line? I know that many spanners have a "breakable" attribute -- maybe there's a straightforward way to add this ability to the box's arrow?

best,
Jeff

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Jeffrey Trevino
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> This is a very help description. Maybe you could describe for me: I see both
> the box duration as a spacer duration and the line duration as "extender
> length," in what seem to be unitless units.

The way it's set up now, the extender length is measured in staff-spaces.

> Here is an addition -- although I'm not sure if it's an improvement -- that
> might be important in some cases: It seems that it would be helpful to
> describe the line length of the arrow in terms of spacers if possible, to
> more easily describe the duration occupied by the entire frame construct.

Yes, that's a good idea.  I don't like having to fiddle with numbers
to get it to look right.

> Likewise, I would like to be able to draw a bracket over the frame's graphic
> duration, with a note duration or series of tied durations above the
> bracket, centered, to indicate the duration of the frame clearly. I don't
> know how this would work; maybe it would be possible to use a bracket
> spanner and then enter durations?

This would be doable, but I think markup would be the way to go here.
That way, you can specify the duration in clock time (which I've done
when I've used this sort of notation).

One concern I have here stems from the fact that frame notation isn't
standardized, and there are many variants: there's no way everybody's
favorite notation could be accommodated.  As one example, putting a
box around the notes isn't the only way it's done: I have in front of
me a piece by Bruce Saylor which puts an ellipse around the notes.  So
I think the only workable approach is to offer some bare-bones
implementation.  For more idiosyncratic notations, I guess the answer
is to turn to Inkscape and the like.

(In any case, I'd like to get something basic working first before
adding frills.)

-David

--
Jeff Treviño