Re: review of a Mutopia file (why TabStaff gives error here?)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: review of a Mutopia file (why TabStaff gives error here?)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 01:37:22 +0000 (UTC)

Nick Payne <nick.payne <at> internode.on.net> writes:

> On 24/11/12 13:34, Keith OHara wrote:
> >     \once\override TextSpanner #'to-barline = ##t
> >       <>\startTextSpan
> >       $music
> >       <>\stopTextSpan

> Why is lilypond thinking that the
> TextSpanner is breaking across staves when it isn't?

This function stops the Text Spanner at the first opportunity /after/
$music so if $music ends on a line-break, the spanner continues to the
first note on the next line.  'to-barline=#t is the option to omit
drawing the short section on the next line.

The other barre function at
> % http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=857
disassembles $music to insert a \stopTextSpan just before the final note.
This assumes that $music is a single sequence, not something like
but it would work better with your method of handling line breaks.

> I was testing this barre function without the tabstaff stuff

You could instead   \set Staff.minimumFret ...
so it works with- or without the Tab Staff