Re: Harmonics and regular notes same measure different voices

From: David Bellows
Subject: Re: Harmonics and regular notes same measure different voices
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:36:00 -0500

Thanks everyone! Clearly there is still much for me to learn about Lilypond. I've gone with the \override NoteHead and it's working perfectly.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Nick Payne <address@hidden> wrote:
On 27/11/12 11:39, David Bellows wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm creating a score for classical guitar and I've run into a problem combining harmonics and regular notes in the same measure in different voices.  If I do something like this:

\version "2.16.1"
<< { \harmonicsOn e'4 f' g' \harmonicsOff} \\ {a4 b c} >>

then the harmonic noteheads are clear or open, i.e., they are not filled in like you'd expect with a quarter notes (eighth, sixteenth, etc.). I do not think this is standard for guitar notation and in any case given some intricate rhythm stuff going on it's going to make it difficult for the performer to figure out what to play.

Instead if I do:
\version "2.16.1"
<< { \override Staff.NoteHead #'style = #'harmonic-mixed e'4 f' g' \revert Staff.NoteHead #'style } \\ {a4 b c} >>

Then the harmonic noteheads are filled in properly but the notes in the second voice are also displayed as harmonics instead of regular notes.

That's because you're overriding Staff.NoteHead, so the override applies to all voices on the staff. Change that to either Voice.NoteHead or just NoteHead, and the harmonics will only apply to that voice.

Nick