Re: first-time user, a couple of questions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: first-time user, a couple of questions
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:13:35 +0100

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/11/27 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
>> 2012/11/27 Xavier Noria <address@hidden>:
>>> Hi! This is the first time I use LilyPond, thanks for the software and
>>> the documentation, they are really good!
>>>
>>> I have transcribed a song by Stevie Wonder:
>>>
>>>     https://github.com/fxn/scores/blob/master/stevie-wonder/you-and-i.ly
>>>
>>> and have a couple of questions I have not been able to figure out searching:
>>>
>>> 1. As you see, in the source code I have everything organized by
>>> measure. Is there a way to add lyrics by measure instead of in a
>>> separate chunk? The score would be easier to write and follow if I
>>> could mix them.
>>
>> I don't know, if it's _possible_, but I would never do so.
>> Opposed to you I think it would make all _more_ intricate.
>
> Entering lyrics in parallel should be possible if you could specify
> lyricsmode for one of the variables, but I don't know how to specify
> it
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#writing-music-in-parallel

lyricsmode is not a music mode, but an entry mode.  \parallelMusic gets
one argument and it is not possible to have this argument scanned in
more than one mode.

I don't really see a feasible way to do this kind of parallelism in
LilyPond.  It would be an interesting exercise to offer a "mixed" mode
where lyrics are just entered as quoted strings interspersed with notes,
having to pull the respective events apart afterwards in a music
function.  But that would require actually changing the parser and
recompiling LilyPond.

--
David Kastrup