Re: Note duration line (contemporary)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Note duration line (contemporary)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 03:07:13 +0100

2012/11/29 Jeffrey Trevino <address@hidden>:
> Thanks, Harm! That does just what we were trying to get at, I think.

It was _Davids_ idea! I only made some small additions.
But I'm glad to hear that it works for you.
Shout, if you encounter problems.

If no further problems occuring one should think about putting it in the LSR.
Or maybe turning it into a patch.

> It's a long-term goal of mine to learn enough about the Scheme side of
> Lilypond to be able to design stencils, and custom notational constructs
> more broadly, like you've just done. It seems like graphic flexibility with
> \markup is documented really well, but I've yet to get the basics of how I
> can use Scheme to control Lilypond at a low-level graphically as you've just
> done. Do you -- or anyone else reading -- have a suggestion about which
> source code or documentation I should take a look at to start learning how?
> It seems like these are the basic things I need to learn how to do:
>
> 0. learn the most basic line and shape drawing functions included in
> Lilypond.
> 1. learn to access the position data of a staff's conventionally notated
> elements (skip, rest, chord, or note, most importantly).
> 2. learn to describe the position of new lines, shapes, and glyphs, with
> data from #1 acting as a sort of backbone for the new notations created
> relative to them, in order to use the system's spacing algorithms
> effectively.
> 3. learn to parameterize these constructs with hard-coded or user-specified
> arguments that determine the extent, proportions, and appearance of #2,
> especially to correlate the x-extent of a construct with a conventionally
> specified duration (as a series of skips, for example).
>
> This would be a way of creating custom notations as a sort of decoration of
> simple elements on a staff, but maybe there's another paradigm that someone
> with more experience might recommend as an alternative to this model.
>
> thanks for all your help,
> Jeff

Well, some years ago I decided to learn scheme with the same
motivation. This process hasn't ended yet.
:)

Surely you're aware of several online-tutorials.

I feel the best scheme-training is to do it.
Or in other words, study all code on the list, try to understand what
is done, why and how code changes during discussion. And try to think
about every user-question and which code you would suggest to solve
the current problem.

Regards,
  Harm